September Parish Meeting Report

The meeting was attended by 5 of the 7 Parish Councillors. District Councillor Chamberlain was out of Parish on business.

Since the last meeting Councillor Betty Grimes has stepped down from post which creates a vacancy that can only be filled with a by election. The other vacancy created by Ian Storr’s resignation in May can now be filled by co-opting applicants as no one came forward in the Summer and 4 months have passed. It is a complicated system that we must adhere to so please don’t be put off if you are thinking of joining the council and contact the clerk.

Two villagers have applied for the co-opted post and these will be voted upon at an extra meeting before next month when both people can attend to briefly address the council as neither was at the meeting. Matters that were dealt with this month included the agreed sharing of Speed Watch equipment with Caldecote and Toft once volunteers have been trained and the football clubs being asked to check the pitches at the end of the fixtures to clear up all the tape, gloves and litter from the touchlines. There was a long discussions following a resident’s request for the Council to pay for a dropped kerb outside their house when the double yellow lines are introduced; but it was decided that the Council would not pay although they were sympathetic with the situation. Another long discussion followed the request of the Hardwick Sports and Social Club to erect two lockable bollards in the Parish car park disabled parking bays outside the Pavilion. It was decided that first the HSSC should make every attempt to approach those using the bays without a Blue Badge, as they know who they are, reminding them not to. The new village litter picker has started and we thank Joan Harding for the summer months during which she did the role voluntarily. The Council will arrange for the brambles around the skate park to be cut back and extra litter checks by council members should improve the appearance of this area of the rec. Coton Ladies Netball club will be using the all-weather courts this winter and if any other clubs would like to please contact the clerk. The driveway leading to the church will be widened at the road end to facilitate their planning application for a community hall behind St Mary’s. Our new street lights are nearly all working but with the perfect growing conditions this Summer lots of trees have flourished and if your street light is obscured please let me know (jane@humphriesfamily.org.uk) I am trying to check on all our village lights to ensure good visibility at night. We are also doing a check on the condition of the village notice boards and I will clear them of out of date notices as soon as I can.

The next meeting is on 20th October in the Community Room at 7.45pm. If you are thinking of joining the Parish Council it is a good idea to come along to a few meetings to familiarise yourself with the day to day duties of the post.

Written by Jane Humphries

Village Survey – St Neots Road development Hardwick Parish Council needs your feedback

Hardwick Parish Council is asking residents of Hardwick to complete a survey to help them with responding to a planning application which Circle Housing will make next month for a housing development of 184 houses off St Neots Road.

Please download a copy of the survey here and return it to the Village Shop or the Blue Lion or Hardwick Sports and Social Club or by post to the Parish Clerk

Circle Housing Exhibition Summary

In summary of the exhibition on Tuesday, Circle is proposing a total of 184 dwellings over the 7.12 hector site as well as a community woodland on the southern end. You can download a map of the proposed development here.


Circle Housing would like to thank everyone who attended our exhibition on Tuesday.
We really enjoyed meeting you all and had some very useful feedback from residents.

Below is the indicative layout that was displayed Tuesday night. We are proposing mix of houses and flats, private, rented and shared ownership homes with a ‘village green’ and woodland area to provide green space. Through the planning agreement the scheme would contribute towards much needed community facilities which would be located in the centre of the village. The feedback we have had so far includes comments on the location and height of some properties and a request for some bungalows. The plan will be reviewed in the light of these comments and updated by the architect.
The updated plan will be made available for the Hardwick website.

Any additional comments can be emailed to fiona.coulson@circle.org.uk


You can view a higher quality version here.

Starting a Village Plan

The Parish Council has endorsed the preparation of a Village Plan. This will set out how the Village wants to develop in the future. A small group of volunteers has agreed to kick-off the process but its ultimate success depends on residents of the village contributing to the development of the plan. To find out more, visit the website www.hardwickplan.uk

August Parish Meeting Report

Parish Council report for the meeting held on Tuesday 25th August 2015.

The meeting was attended by 6 Parish Councillors and 10 members of the public including Grenville Chamberlain.

There was a 15 minute public session starting at 7.45pm and the business meeting started on time at 8pm. Grenville, our District Councillor, assured the PC that he will address the poor bus provision to the southern end of Hardwick with the District Council. With the prospect of new developments and new bus corridors from Cambourne to Cambridge he would keep requesting better public transport provisions through the village.

Martin Cassey volunteered to steer a new Village Improvement Plan working group which will be made up of 2 PC members and as many villagers as want to be involved. This group will not be part of the PC but be a community group who explore what the residents would like to see happen in Hardwick over the next 5 years. A broad range of residents is essential for this idea to reflect the whole village so please contact Martin if you are interested. martin@hardwickplan.uk.

Dog mess is an ongoing problem and as we have a good number of bins we ask all dog walkers to always clear up after their dogs. A Speedwatch team will be resurrected with volunteers needed (6) and training is provided. Gail, the clerk can help with those keen to help. hardwickpc@lgs-services.co.uk

Double yellow lines will be finally painted onto the corners around the school and Egremont Rd to encourage safer parking and routes across the roads. Cahills Corner (the bend where Cambridge Rd meets Main Street) will have pavement improvements made to widen the path for pedestrians and clear the view as much as possible on the approaches. Road improvements are rarely funded by the highways dpt unless bad accidents have occurred, as we can’t wait for this to happen the PC is funding this project within finances we set aside for this several years ago. The football pitches will be sprayed for a plantain infestation as it does seem to be particularly bad this year.

A survey will be available at the drop in session for the new St. Neot’s Rd development although this publication will be delivered many weeks after that event. The Parish Council meetings are open to all members of the press and public and there is still a vacancy for a councillor if anyone feels community minded.

Written by Jane Humphries

Circle Living Proposal Display

Circle Living ltd (part of Circle Housing Group) has sent leaflets inviting residents to attend a display of their plans for a new development on land to the south of St Neots Road and west of Hall Drive. This display will be on Tuesday 8th September at Hardwick Primary School, 3:30pm – 7pm. Hardwick Parish Council is encouraging residents in the village to view the plans and to provide feedback to the Parish Council about them.

Details of the proposal will be posted on this website shortly after the 8th.

CambridgeBOLD

In October the greater Cambridge City Deal Executive Board will launch a public consultation for views on the best course for a new bus and cycle route between Cambourne and Cambridge.

To facilitate the best possible route for everyone it is important for there to be a positive and constructive dialogue between the villages and communities along the Cambourne-to-Cambridge corridor, and the City Deal Board/highways department.

It is the aim of CambridgeBOLD to set out a locally conceived proposal for the new route which will represent, as best as possible, a broad consensus of opinion from villages within the Cambourne-Cambridge public transport corridor. As such you are invited to visit the CambridgeBold website at www.cambridgebold.org and view the current draft proposal. If you would like to have your say or if you have any comments on the proposed route you need to submit them to comments@cambridgebold.org before Friday 9th October.